The Beginnings of St. Paul's
In October of 1835, a group of people met one evening at a private home in Akron to organize an Episcopal Church congregation. These small gatherings for worship continued for nine years until the first church building was built. From 1844 onward, St. Paul’s enjoyed tremendous growth and success, requiring new and larger church buildings in 1884 and 1907. In 1952, our present church building was dedicated on eight acres of land donated by the family of Harvey S. Firestone. Our current building is an Akron landmark and has been expanded multiple times in the last 50 years.
St. Paul’s is among the largest churches in the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio, and has woven itself into the rich fabric of Akron’s cultural and social history, planting a number of mission churches and playing a pivotal role in the founding of Alcoholics Anonymous.